Friday, July 17, 2009

Mr Lucky Chris Isaak

It’s great to have him back, singing his songs of love lost, love found, cheating hearts, happiness and loneliness. It’s been seven long years since his last studio album here he is again, on form, doing the heartbreak blues as only Mr Isaak can.
So let me point you to the tracks of the tears on this album in which celebrates just how lucky his is to be alive, and singing the songs he loves to sing.
That’s right. Lucky! He’s lucky he says in an interview, to be able live to sing and sing to live. And we, I suggest, are lucky that he has decided to stick to what he does best without any embellishment or attempt to be trendy, with remixes, overdubs and as Bo Diddley said “all that kinda stuff”.
So what do we have here? Well there’s track one, Cheaters Town, “ I’ve got a broken heart, torn in two and I don’t when I don’t know if I am ever coming home…. yeah baby you lied to me, you lied to me /you stood there you smiled you opened your heart and you lied (and) I don’t know when, I don’t know if, I'm ever comin home, “
Then there’s track 5, the wonderful Breaking Apart, done here in duet with Trisha Yearwood. It’s better then the original! Heartrending stuff. You feel the pain from the opening bars.
As far as the technical stuff goes Chris did much of the production himself assisted by Eric Rosse, who produces Tori Amos and Lisa Marie Presley, John Shanks who has produced for Sheryl Crow, Michelle Branch and Rod Stewart as well as his longtime mixer and collaborator Mark Needham. And apart from collaborating with Trisha Yearwood there’s Michelle Branch with whom he shares a lovely harmony on “I Lose My Heart” and “Baby, Baby.”
What more could any Chris Isaac fan want? Off you go then: buy it, rush home and pay it with your squeeze or play it alone you’ll love it. And if you don’t? Well baby you must have a heart of stone. EJH

No comments: