Tuesday, December 2, 2008

It’s a workout maintaining gym etiquette in presence of poise

A slim and trim young lady vacuum packed into a bright pink leotard stretching her lithe body through contortions that one should really only attempt alone and in the privacy of one’s own home, rather than in full view of the crowds in a public gym, was a high point of a rain-soaked week.

It was, however, not the pink panther so much, as the reactions of her fellow “gymnicks” which, for a while at least, dispelled the gloom of rising interest rates, fuel price hikes and the consistently depressing performances of presidents, politicians and public servants.

The thing with gyms is that you don’t really want to look at anyone while you are exercising — not for too long anyway.

Convention has it that if you stare at the ladies exercising they may take you for some kind or creep or for a voyeur with predatory intent.

And, if you are a man, you might not want to be caught looking for too long at another man and running the risk of either being hit, or, especially in Cape Town, being hit on.

So people in gyms, tend, whenever possible, to avoid eye contact with one other. A nod here, a grunt there — never a wink anywhere — is about all that’s permissible as with lowered glance you walk briskly from one machine to another to sweat your stuff.

And that’s the way it’s been until the advent of the pink lady.

Never in all my years in gyms of cycling nowhere, in all the hours of picking up heavy weights and putting them down again, bending backwards and forwards and over and under have I ever seen so many people trying so hard not to look someone.

There she was, as I said cling-wrapped in pink, one second legs in the air, then legs down on the ground, sit-ups, sit downs, body twists like a koeksuster, jogging on the spot while everyone in the gym found something else fascinating to do, anything, in fact, rather than be caught looking.

A lot of men I noticed suddenly found a lot of time to stare at the clock above her head although all the other clocks on all the walls in the gym were working perfectly well.

Many men, I also noticed, suddenly found that stretching on the mats on the polished floor near where she was, had instant appeal.

And there they all were, rolling about, with eyes studiously averted, stretching tugging, and pulling at their limbs as if their lives depended on it.

Everyone still looking everywhere except at the pink lady.

Some were looking so hard away in fact that they didn’t see where they were going and bumped into each other or the machines as they walked. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen that.

It’s amazing how cool and uninterested you can pretend to be when all your being is strained to the edge of endurance to be interested.

In the end it was the lady in pink who was most cool. She remained flexible and aloof; with just the hint of a flick of her blonde pony-tailed hair to her audience, every now and then, to let us all know that she knew that we all only had eyes for her.

What poise, what style! Thanks to her amazing performance, I am sure that I can assume without much fear of contradiction that pink, at least for those in the gym that day, is from now on the new black.

2 comments:

Evelyn John Holtzhausen said...

Dear Evelyn – I always look forward to your articles. I am often encouraged by your practical comments. How about this one of mine? When will the press, the media, the newspapers, their columnists, fulfil their role to inform and not only to write about events? News we can use.
For example, when are the press, the media, the newspapers, their columnists, going to indicate the contact data: viz. email addresses, postal addresses, fax numbers, formal names of organisations that you have reported on.
My reason is that the average reader wants to do something about the crime, AIDS, violence, xenophobia, traffic problems, but does’nt know where to start. He/she needs contact data, specific addresses, fax nos, email addresses, etc.
So, next time you mention “make plans to be happy now”, or “shot dead by gunmen”, “criminals” , a “freeze-frame perspective”, why not use that “trauma” to direct action, anger, thoughts and emotions, strongly felt complaints, at the persons who can do something about it: viz, a Metro Police Chief, a DA leader, a Director: Health, a Councillor for that suburb, a Ratepayers association, etc., etc., by publishing the relevant official’s contact data alongside your byline, your photo in your article. A “mashini wam” approach?
Some years ago, I searched out the contact data and emailed and faxed petitions to all concerned from Mbeki down via the Mayor to the local bus company when my bus regularly did not arrive at all at 6:40 am during rainy winter storms (unknown to me the bus drivers made copies of the fax I circulated amongst bus commuters and a veritable avalanche apparently arrived at these important persons. See attached “traffic.doc”. I was so angry about standing in the rain one wintry morning waiting for a bus to take me to work, that I searched out the contact data and my new-found “perspective” and did something – other letters followed. Action resulted. Consequently and eventually the Police closed off an out-lying suburb and found the murderers of bus drivers (a bus taxi war) that were the cause of the late bus phenomenon.


Peter Bossenger -

Evelyn John Holtzhausen said...

From: Roy Page
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:18:44 +0200,
Thank you for the interesting article on Gordon, the Elvis
impersonator. However your article highlights how misleading and selective
journalism can be. It was not the broomstick, but in fact the SAP that saved
Gordon. I should know as I was frequenting the Coffee shop next door at the
time. The police responded within minutes and caught the thugs red handed. In
fact Gordon conceded that he had given up hope, but realized he had a chance
to live when he heard the police sirens.
Incidently, the private security he was paying for protection arrived over an
hour late, another fact you omitted to mention. It is high time the police
were given the recognition they deserve. Here I am referring to the SAP and
not the Metro Police started by the DA. The poor management of the Metro
Police is one of the reasons that I no longer vote DA.

Regards
Roy
-
From: Evelyn Holtzhausen
Sent: 11 December 2008 10:06 PM
To: Roy Page
Subject: Thank you

Dear Roy
Thank you for your e-mail regarding my column. And yes, I concede you have a point. And also agree wholeheartedly that the police do need praise when they act as they did in this instance - as they did as well in getting my hijacked car back to me. But it's also a matter of perspective. I know Gordon well and have discussed the incident with him several times over breakfast in the very coffee shop where you were. I believe, and so does Gordon, that had he not used the broomstick (and mop handle) to hold the door shut, he could well have been shot. The police did save him in the end. So for accuracy I might have said he was saved initially by the fact that he held the robbers at bay with the broomstick and in the final instance by the prompt arrival and action of the police. Gordon read a draft of the story and did not dispute my telling of it. I would dispute however that the piece was misleading. It certainly was selective in that I selected certain aspects of Gordon's story to make a point. I did not mention the tardiness of the security company, as that was not relevant to the story I was telling. My column is an opinion not a news story. The story about Gordon was just that, a story, used as a narrative device, a theme, to get to my point which is that life is short and worth living and that people who have lived through trauma often have a heightened sense of the value of ( their) life. Nevertheless your point is well taken and thank you for taking the trouble to write. I will be cognicant of your comments when I next use a true story to make a general observation. I hope you have a happy festive season. kind regards,
Evelyn


To: Evelyn Holtzhausen
Subject: RE: Thank you

Hi Evelyn,
Thanks for taking the trouble to get back to me and I did get the gist of your article. There is certainly wise advise contained therein. I was really concerned that generally the police do not get the recognition that they deserve, considering that they are often putting their lives on the line for little reward. Thanks once again for a well written article and a happy festive season to you as well.

Regards
Roy